Saint James Church
Location: 647 Route 715 Lower Jemseg, NB
(nearby postal code E4C 3P1)
Saint James Anglican Church, Lower Jemseg, is located in the Parish of Cambridge & Waterborough, the Diocese of Fredericton. Here are some of the church highlights:
The foundation stone of red polished granite was laid on August 4, 1887.
The first service was held in the church of Christmas Day, 1887.
The church was consecrated by Bishop Medley in June 1889.
St. James is one of the few stone churches in rural New Brunswick.
The church is built of local sandstone, gathered over a period of 2 years from fields around Dykeman Lake. Piling the stone, hauling it and assisting with the rough work was done by 10 families.
Granite for the buttresses was donated from the quarry at Hampstead, and Caen stone from France left over from the construction of Christ Church Cathedral was given to decorate the window frames, doors and chancel arch.
An interesting architectural feature is the small round window at the west end of the church called a “Lepers’ squint”
The land for the church was given by Mr. Samuel Scovil.
The builders were Messrs. Cadwalleder and Cummings of Fredericton.
In the 1891, a horse shed was erected, costing $40.00 to better enable attendance in the winter months.
The present Women’s Institute Hall which you can see from the door of the church was the original St. James Chapel of Ease. It was consecrated on July 3, 1849 and was moved from this site to make way for the present church in 1887.
While regular Sunday services are not held here, but the church is still being used for special occasions.