Saint John the Evangelist
Location: 5400 Blk Route 105, White's Cove NB (nearby postal code E4C 3H9)
Saint John the Evangelist Church site is located in Whites Cove, Queens County
People in this area originally worshipped at the Whites Point Anglican Church which was built in 1830 at Robertson’s Point and was known as the “Point Church”. Because of the angle of the boundary line between the church and the Robertson properties, there was a dispute over the right of way to the church necessitating the us of an alternate route along the shoreline. In the spring, the road would flood and become inaccessible for 3-4 four months of the year. The congregation decided to move the church to Whites' Cove. The site in marked by the cemetery located in a small knoll in a grove of trees near the foundation of the old church.
In 1869, work began on the new church using lumber from the Knight Estate. The steeple and bell were used from the Point Church. The Saxby Gale of 1869 twisted the frame as the church was being built and steel rods were used to hold its shape. The Saint John the Evangelist Church was consecrated in 1871 by Bishop John Medley. The church was repaired and repainted in October 1946 when the church celebrated its 75th Anniversary. In 1988 Allan Hunter restored windows in the church with new frames and new glass panes with donations from church families. The church continued to be used until 1995 and was taken down in 2012 due to structural issues. The original bell was saved and installed at the existing cemetery.
November 25, 2014
A stone monument has now been placed near the bell. There will be a dedication service in the Spring/Summer 2015. The date will be posted when it has been determined.